Shoot pa more! Ultimate pa more! by: By Lucille Jean Raterta

10:33 PM All About U 0 Comments


PUI Crew Lucille Jean Raterta

Please join us in welcoming our new addition to the Philippine Ultimate Images crew. Lucille Jean Raterta, A passionate ultimate player and photographer of the sport, Lucille started shooting ultimate just last year, and we can see great things from this young lady. This is Lucille Raterta.


"I never thought that I would be given the chance to learn how to play one of the world’s most intense sports (or rather in my opinion): Ultimate Frisbee.

Being a student in the city of Dumaguete, it is inevitable to see different people enjoying their different pastimes. You could see skaters and people on BMXs doing their tricks near Freedom Park, you could see people playing flag football or running on the track at the Perdices Oval, and in the amphitheatre of Silliman University – you could see people playing ultimate.

I hesitantly started out playing with my friends last August 2014 in one of the fields in Silliman with little confidence, and even littler skill. A few weeks in, I could certainly feel the rush that everyone was talking about when you mention the term “ultimate Frisbee”.  You would think that it’s just 14 people in a field,  passing a piece of plastic from end to end, but as time passed by, I eventually came to learn that that thought is a huge misconception.








A few weeks went by and I slowly made my way to playing with the local players in the amphitheatre – where they make a simple game between friends seem like an intense tournament from an outsiders perspective. Again, I felt the rush of ultimate, I felt the urge to play every afternoon just to have my daily adrenaline fix. Negros Oriental, being the home of some of the strongest regional teams around such as Sindikato Ultimate, COG Ultimate, Kwakernz, Luktonz, and of course Team Extreme, it was again, inevitable to get hooked to such a sport.

During that time, the eighth Ultimate Shindig was happening at the Perdices Oval. I remember that that particular time of year was hot – perfect for ultimate. The sun was shining brightly as teams played their hearts out throughout the 3-day tournament. As a newbie of course, I couldn’t play, so instead I brought my camera. I had a Sony Alpha 100 with a 70-350mm lens, and the lighting was perfect! I went to the center of both pitches and started shooting – the rush was just as intense as I watched people play passionately through my lens. At the time, sports photography wasn’t my area of interest, but after Shindig 2014, ultimate and photography for me seemed to slowly sew into my list of priorities.

From that time on, I knew I wanted to improve myself in ultimate. “Pagka sunod nga tuig, di na ko mutan.aw – mu dula jud ko!” (Next year, I won’t watch – I’m gonna play!) I told myself. I started joining different tournaments; I played every afternoon with my friends, and eventually joined a team. Shindig 2015 was my goal, and I wasn’t going to stop until I played. It was difficult trying to get there, with all the training and my academics, but I was able to manage. No pain, no gain, right?





















Fast forward to Shindig United 2015 – I had my jerseys ready, I had my studs ready and I had my cameras ready. Of course, the renowned Don Laczi was there to take amazing photographs, and little by little, I started shooting as well during my free time. Rain or shine, the passion I had for ultimate equaled to the passion I had for photography – I had to get in there! I had to take photos! Kuya Don was kind  enough to share some tips on efficient photography, and I also asked him on his opinion on my photos. (Medyo na star struck  ako ng konti!)

Because of what I was doing, playing and taking photos, my first Shindig was absolutely memorable – not to mention tiring, but 100% worth it. Never have I ever imagined the opportunities coming my way because of ultimate. As August 2015 marks the first year of my ultimate experience, I could say that life has been eventful and fruitful and all-around amazing! The Spirit of the Game has really set its place with how I deal with people, situations and myself, inside and outside the field. I guess it’s the Spirit that really makes us different from other sports, it’s something a bit deeper than mere sportsmanship.

As more opportunities come, I quote a friend of mine who told me:

“Heads up always, but always keep your feet on the ground.” - Lucille 

To see more of Lucille's work, you can check out the PUI/AllAboutU page, www.facebook.com/puimages or you can go to her facebook page at www.facebook.com/lucilleraterta

Thank you, Lucille for sharing your work and story. 
Welcome to the PUI Crew!

Until then... More images to share. More Stories to tell. 

It's All About U!





0 comments: