Bracelets with a Cause (An AAU Stories to Tell)

9:57 PM All About U 0 Comments




Creating and selling original handmade jewelries is one thing, but selling it for a good cause? That's another story to tell. Synty Villahermosa is an Ultimate Frisbee player from Dumaguete city. An Architecture student, An Artist, and a talented handmade jeweller. Let's get to know more about Synty. Her mom. And her little project called Project BALIGYA that is making big impact on people's lives in Brgy. Isugan, Bacong, Negros Oriental.  After all, there's no such thing as small things in helping people. 


Photo by: Lucille Raterta




AAU: Tell us something about your Project?

Synty: This is a project I initiated last July 2016. It’s called project BALIGYA. Baligya is a cebuano term that means merchandise or commodities offered for sale.  I decided to create handcrafted bracelets and sell them online via Facebook. A portion of the proceeds goes to selected children of Brgy. Isugan, Bacong, Negros Oriental who have been so precious to my late-mother who passed away last January 2016. I wanted this project to be as straightforward and as true as its name, no putting up of some facade and no beating around the bush. Hence, project BALIGYA.

AAU: Who / What motivates you to do Project BALIGYA? 

Synty: My mom and her passion to spread God’s love will always be the very heart of this project. She was such a great example for me, both in her personal life and in her ministries. Over the years, I’ve watched her push through difficulties, make tough choices, battle cancer, and still choose to trust God through it all and even allow Him to use her circumstances for His glory. I also love how my mom was such a great giver, always so selfless. And though she has gone home to the Lord, her life will always remind me of a famous line from a movie that says, “The choices you make today will echo throughout eternity.” All her hard work, sacrifice and obedience has not only affected my life, but has also paved the way for this little project to help kids one by one.


Photo by: Lucille Raterta



AAU: Who is Synty Villahermosa?
Synty: I am a person who is very passionate about the arts, music, sports and ministries. Previously, when I’m not studying design in architecture school, playing the piano for our church every Sunday, or training for the school’s soccer varsity, I’d be building upon the kid’s ministry my mom had entrusted to me. All my endeavours I always pour out my heart into.

AAU: Can you tell us something about your mom? What gives her the idea of giving these kids a better future?
Synty: My mom was a preacher and I can surely tell you that what you see is what you get – she really does practice what she preaches. She was all about sharing Christ by loving people. That took many forms – from reaching out to orphans and ministering to those in prison, to providing for those in need of physical and emotional help, to offering hope and care to society’s outcasts. She took each available opportunity to share Christ’s love to everyone she encounters, especially to the youth. As a mother and a former teacher, my mom believed that one of the most rewarding things is to see your kids/students pursue their dreams and know that you have had a vital part in helping them accomplish it.


Photo by: Lucille Raterta



AAU: When did your mom start this cause? 
Synty: Over a year ago, God put it on my mom’s heart to start granting scholarships to the kids in our farm who demonstrated qualities that she herself knew would make up deserving scholars. With the aid of her scholarship, one graduated Salutatorian from Bacong Elementary School last March 2016. Now on her freshmen year in Highschool, she continues to enjoy the same privileges.

AAU: How many kids have you helped at the moment? 
Synty: As of the moment, we have helped five kids.


Photo by: Lucille Raterta

Photo by: Lucille Raterta



AAU: Is there any reason why you chose to make bracelets instead of something else? 
Synty: Bracelets are accessories I’ve always been smitten to. People who know me know how much I love hoarding bracelets, especially bracelets that are handmade. It saddens me that in these days of mass production, master artisans and model makers are a rare commodity. So I decided to design bracelets I myself would wear (and hoard) and at the same time, try to keep the dying art of creating handmade jewelry alive and well.

AAU: Can you tell us something about these kids that you and your mom helped through the years?
Synty: These kids started as attendees of a church ministry my mom established in our farm in Bacong. Some are children of parents who work for us at our farm, and some are of parents who live in marginalized communities surrounding our property.  My mom, who earlier noticed potential in the kids, later on discovered that a few of them were actually honour students in their respective schools. That was when my mom saw another opportunity to put God’s love in action by granting scholarships and providing extra allowances to these kids.








 AAU: What are your future plans for the project? 
Synty: I’d really love for this project to continue in the future so it can remain a blessing to many kids. I believe that if I could do this long enough, aside from all the help this project can bring to the children, their families will also eventually want to know what’s compelling me to do this for them. That’s when I can share about my mom’s heart. It’s also my longing to see this project grow in the future so it can somehow provide employment opportunities to other people in need. 
AAU: Will we ever see you play Ultimate again?
Synty: Cliche as it may sound, but Ultimate will always and forever be a part of me. I’ve been playing Ultimate since 2011 and it’s undeniable that Ultimate has somehow influenced me in so many positive ways. Right now, I am temporarily on a hiatus from the athlete-life. So yes, you will definitely be seeing me back on the field soon.

Until then... More images to share. More stories to tell. It's All About U!

Thank you, Synty!


For more info about project Baligya: https://www.facebook.com/synty.villahermosa?fref=ts


0 comments: