All About U Guest Writer Anj Serrano Nguyen on AOUGCC 2017 and Women's Ultimate in the Region.

3:12 AM All About U 0 Comments




Photo by Vitt Salavador, grabbed from Anj's Facebook page


When I started playing ultimate, it was all just mixed tournaments with the one women’s and open tournament called Malakas at Maganda. Even then there’d be barely any women’s teams and usually, the same two teams would dominate every year. 8 years later I’m playing women’s ultimate with some of the most talented individuals I’ve ever met against teams from Asia, Australia, and New Zealand who are just as talented (or even better! Hello, Huck, Japan. You ladies are amazing).

I know there were other categories in AOUGCC 2017 but to see the growth of women’s ultimate gets me so excited and I also get to be a part of it.



Hosting AOUGCC is a big step forward for Philippine Ultimate and those behind this progress (organizers, players, documentation teams) should be proud. To me, it was a very enjoyable and well-organized tournament and I’m looking forward to joining more international tournaments hosted in the Philippines.

Ultimate is a great sport with an even better community and seeing it grow into something bigger in my home country makes me happy.

Photo by Nate Go, grabbed from Anj's Facebook page.


How great was AOUGCC? I can answer that by asking myself “Was flying 6,000 km, staying in the Philippines for five days and arriving in Sydney four hours before an exam worth it? And by it, I mean playing AOUGCC and being surrounded by some of the most talented ultimate players I’ll ever meet?” Yes. Yes, it was.

- Anj Serrano Nguyen. Team Bauhaus, Australia.


0 comments: