Manila Spirits 2017: Pain Is Not An Option.

6:05 PM All About U 0 Comments







I was very relieved Sunday night when I found myself still standing after three days of shooting. I wasn't 100 percent physically coming into Manila Spirits weekend, to tell you frankly, but I guess the years of working in harsh conditions here and abroad paid off every time I feel 70 percent. Just like Love, mental toughness always win. A week before the tournament, I developed two tiny boils just under my tummy where the waistbands of my underwear rub my skin. Yes, that painful area. (I know, I am not supposed to tell the nasty details but hey, it's my blog. Wink! Wink! If you don't know what boils are..... Google it!) Every day, the pain just gets too intolerable every time I walk, and even sitting is hard to handle. Not a single person knew about this that weekend except for a couple of my crew in AAU. I think that is the best way to handle it so that everyone can still focus on the job and be in tip-top shape. The registration night in Parque Espana went smoothly with plates of pizza and buckets of beer being served, top it off with some epic out of tune videoke battles, it was a good night for most of us. The next morning while everyone was lacing up their cleats, I was taping up my boils with clean bandages, making sure that it won't irritate and burst out a mess while I was shooting. But the teams were ready and the players were all set. It is time for Day one!


Day one went off perfectly. Overcast skies. Cool air. Lots of smiles. The games were exciting in the early stages of the tournament. Dada showed up all the way from his US trip without a pair of socks, and guess what... He brought the rain with him! Truckloads of rain fell from the sky to make a few puddles of water on the fields of Alabang Country Club. The official game time continued ticking, so we went back out with our cameras securely wrapped with our trustee garbage bags. That was the first time that I saw the ACC fields turn to a chocolate brown condition.


It was definitely a good Day one with foreign teams like Black Flag, Mixed Nuts, Ninja Cowboy Bears and Shiok dominating the fields. But the one big realization that I had was, you cannot do it all in one day by yourself. You don't expect yourself to photograph a thousand photos while you are doing Live streaming at the same time (Well, maybe you can if you have a tripod for your phone, BUT I DONT!) Though, I didn't reach my target number of shots, there were at least 300 people who watched the games online in the comfort of their homes. And I think that's a win right there.


Fresh from a night of severe colds, Neco Tupas who volunteered to do the live streaming for us finally felt better and ready to do some pounding on the fields and I can finally focus on making photos (hooray!). Day two was more exciting and intense just like the heat of the sun that amazingly dried out the muddy fields of Alabang Country Club. The Filipino teams bounced back from Day one mishaps and scored a lot of wins to balance the board at the end of day two. But one foreign team made a tremendous move as Shanghai Huwa scored an upset against Black Flag. It only shows that in this year’s Manila Spirits, the trophy is definitely up for grabs. You never know who will win it all. As the sun goes down and dark skies covered the whole Alabang area, DJ Tutay and his crew of great DJ´s brought the Filinvest Tent down with some tunes from the 90's. With two Britney Spears on the floor, a bunch of Bay Watch lifeguards, A pepperoni pizza and more than a dozen green turtles in Ninja costumes, the Manila Spirits 2017 Saturday party was off the hook. As always, the seasoned veterans of the community went home last at around 2 in the morning, woke up at 6am (or maybe 7) to tackle Day 3.



The boils finally burst up and the pain was unbearable (Okay, I will not tell you how nasty it was when I woke up, but yeah. It was pretty bad). I tried to keep my focus because there´s really no reason for me to make any excuses not to work 100 percent. Especially on Day 3. Every step feels like I was being stabbed by a huge needle in my belly and the sun was not helping either. I hid all the pain under my face mask and suck it all up. Tried to stay away from all the conversations on and off the field and just keep my line of sight to find the action. Luckily, Day 3 was full of it.




Filipinos are finally catching up to the rest of the world as some of the Local teams showed great Ultimate all throughout the weekend, We may still be behind in some aspects of the game, but the Pinoys are getting there. Boracay Bandits went on to defeat the giants as they used their speed and Bandits System to reach the Power Pool finals beating Black Flag in the quarterfinals and the Furuzawa, Cupcake, Lisa Pitcaithly powered Mixed Nuts in the semis. Mulatto of Davao City used their wits and teamwork, defeating Shiok in the quarters and dominated a strong team in Vicious Mob to reach the Manila Spirits power pool finals for the first time. The recreational pool is also dominated by Filipino teams as Team Utog also reached the finals to play against The future of Sunken Pleasure, Sunken Pleasure Black. SP Black has a wild and inspiring Manila Spirits story this year. From their last game of Day 2 all the way to the finals of Day 3, their games are all universal point wins. During the Rec Finals, they were down, 10-4. They worked together as Sunken Pleasure always do tie the game at 11 and won the game in-universe point 12-11. I talked to a few SP players during the weekend on how injuries plagued the whole team, Xtian and Popoy were out, and I believe Pao, Anjo and some of them are still nursing old injuries. I told Popoy and Moe, “Maybe there´s a reason for all of these, maybe something good might happen by the end of the weekend.” Though Sunken Pleasure Orange and White did not make the cut, Sunken Pleasure Black carried the SP banner on their backs and won the trophy in the Rec Division. I was right. Congratulations SP Black!


We finally have an All Filipino finals and yes, it is a rematch between these two great provincial teams. Boracay Bandits and Mulatto showed the world how provincial teams play. And these two are the perfect teams to showcase it. The lead went back and forth and it was only a matter of time that one team will commit an error for a chance for the other team to break the trend. Layouts after layouts, Bone Brothers Jordan and Paloy versus the Pirate tandem of Bolantoy and Botchok. Brylle and Kyrah connection versus PaoPao and HoHo on the other. It was such an amazing battle to see. I had a great time that I even forgot that I have a big cut on my belly. Back in August, Mulatto won the AOUGCC championship against the Bandits. A week ago, we crowned The Boracay Bandits as the 2017 Manila Spirits Power Pool Champs. Now, the playing fields have been leveled. Which team will bring home the bacon the next time these two great teams face each other.








Are we seeing a healthy rivalry here? I sure hope so, because it's going to be a great show that even the Bay Watch lifeguards, The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or the Pepperoni Pizza guy do not stand a chance to prevent the epic battles that these two will show the world. The single-gender season is about to begin. See you in Malaybalay, Bukidnon this December!


For more photos:



0 comments: