How I Did It? (AOBUC 2019)

7:08 AM All About U 0 Comments




Thank you, Ben Yap for this photo!



How I did it?

“Don, if you want to go to Japan, better start saving up some money or do some fundraising soon.” That’s what Karen told me a few months before AOBUC 2019. At that time, I was like, “Nah, I don't think I’ll be able to make it in time to save up or even have another fundraising miracle just like what happened in 2017.” Especially when almost all of the players and teams are doing a ton of fundraising activities lately, I’m sure that most of them will have no time to do one for a photographer. I asked a couple of people if they can do it for me, but that didn't materialize either. So, the dream of going to Japan is again, just another dream.

Weeks after, I received a Facebook notification one afternoon and it was from Patrick Van Der Valk, founder of Beach Ultimate Lovers Association or BULA asking about a certain photo. We chatted for a short time and he asked, “Will I see you in Japan this coming June?” “I would really love to go” I answered back. “But funding is the problem.” After a couple of hours, another notification got my attention, and again it was from Patrick.

 “Hi Don, I just talked to the organization. I can get you food and accommodations for 4 days, plus allowance. I know this won't pay for your trip, but if you're interested we’d love to have you.

” Goosebumps all over my body. Felt a little dizzy for a moment and I answered back:

“That’s awesome, Patrick! I guess I need to find a way to get to Japan. I would love to do it.”

 After our conversation ended. I asked myself, “What the hell just happened?”




8 weekends of Ultimate.

 The month of April and May was a blessing. Though I didn't get enough sleep and time to do some stuff for myself, those 8 weekends of Ultimate tournaments really helped me save up some money. Those were the days that literally doing laundry at home was my rest day. The moment my clothes were dry, I fold them up, shove them inside my duffle bag and head to the airport for another Ultimate destination. The month of April and May was rough. But I have to do it. I need to do it. To be part of the Philippine Team delegation in any sport is always a dream of mine. Doing it for the country. Photographing the Filipino Athletes in the international arena. Telling their stories to the world to inspire others. Showcasing the Filipino talents through my photos, sharing them to other people - how good we are. It is the role that I need to play. So, even though it was hard. Unfair to my family that I was always away, it was unfair to my mom… but, I just need to do it. The 8 weekends of Ultimate was done, and I only have a few weeks to go before Japan. And I think I have enough budget for pocket money, train & bus fees and dinner allowance for the convenience stores in Shirahama.

My Visa was still on the process and I don't have a plane ticket, yet.

 I have nowhere else to go but to seek help from two people whom I trust the most. I talked to Karen Cabrera about my Visa and she said “Don’t worry. Trust me. You will get your visa on time.” I remember back in WCBU In Royan, France when she said “Walang maiiwan sa atin” and seeing all of us in one plane heading to Paris, I know that she will move mountains for all of us to be there. The next person that I called up was Chlods Manguerra, she immediately looked for flights and after a while, she messaged me and said, “Don, you are going to Japan!” My hope and dream of going to the land of the rising sun were becoming a reality. After that, during the Nationals, Gio from Iloilo messaged me that Ry-ry, a local player wanted to give me his extra Yens from his last trip to Japan. After I posted something about Japanese Sim cards, Jane of the Women’s team bought me a Japanese sim card at her own expense. Vim sent me an email that Double Happiness will share some for the trip as well. JH from Bacolod also tried his best to do a fundraising hat tournament for me and Quinjune. Ben Yap of the Mixed Team also handed me a few yens as well. When I was having trouble with my wide angle lens, I had a conversation with Monique who is a promising Ultimate Photographer from Manila, she offered me her lens. An offer that I seriously can't refuse. I know it’s really not necessary to tell you all of these, but what they did was a big deal for me personally. The trip would never be possible without them. I just wanted to say thank you to these individuals and to the people who made this experience possible. I hope that someday I will have the ways and means to return the favor.




Shooting Japan.

 I was walking down the streets of Osaka.

Finally, I’m in Japan! Osaka is beautiful. And quiet. And clean. Even the air you breathe smells clean. Well, maybe because we arrived in Osaka at around 11:00pm and everything's close at this hour except for a ramen and takoyaki food truck and a 7-Eleven store. Maybe that’s the reason why the whole place was quiet. So, I was expecting very busy streets during day time. After a good night sleep together with my awesome roommates (shoutout to Angelique, Chai, Gika, Ayrton and T-Dawg), I got myself ready for a long trip to Shirahama, Japan. I walked down the streets heading to the train station, and though there were now a few folks walking around, the streets were still quiet, cool, and clean. The air still smells unbelievably fresh. You can see a lot of happy faces and they love to say hi to people. It was really nice for a change.

 After a train ride and a 2 and a half hour bus ride with a rapid fast wifi connection (yes, there’s a wifi connection wherever you go. Convenience stores have wifi, twas crazy!) we have arrived in the beautiful town of Shirahama. The home of the 2019 Asia Oceanic Beach Ultimate Championships. Let me tell you this, if Osaka is clean, Shirahama is definitely the cleanest place I’ve been to. The sidewalks were dust free, you can take a nap if you want to, clean beaches, clean air, everything's clean! It was so clean that they don't need garbage disposals in every corner of the town. Maybe that's the secret. Don't put garbage cans in every corner so people are forced to bring their trash home, or maybe Japanese is just well disciplined and well-mannered people that they know how to take care of their town.



I was in work mode the moment I got in. I went to see Patrick first for quick instructions, and of course to thank him for this amazing opportunity. Went to see Karen at the registration room and immediately went to the beach, preparing myself for the Parade of Nations.

The Parade of Nations is the moment that I'm always excited about. Seeing every color of every participating nation. Seeing our Philippine Flag dancing in the air, being raised by our proud Filipino flag bearers together with the rest of Asia Oceania countries, it was definitely and always will be the proudest moment that you will ever experience. The flag is just a flag when you are at home. When you see it in your school, in the offices, in cars, pedicabs or in television. But when the time comes that you are representing your country wearing that three stars and the sun on your uniforms, or even seeing the word “Country: The Philippines” in your tournament ID cards, you see those colors differently. The Flag is the most beautiful thing that you will ever see out there. I’ve been to a couple big international tournaments abroad, and I tell you, the moment you hear your Country being called during the Parade of Nations, you feel nothing but love.

 And I’m not even playing. I was just there to shoot people.







The games has finally begun. Day 1 and Day 2 was a walk in the park as the three Filipino teams managed to win all their games. They all looked unbeatable, grooming themselves to go all the way. Me, on the other hand, had a little bit of a dilemma. I was one of the official photographers of the tournament, and it's hard for me not to shoot all the Philippine team games. So what I did was to try and shoot near the pitches where the Philippine teams were playing, shoot the other games and try to get a few snaps of the Filipinos dominating the sands of Shirahama beach. After the day ends, I meet up with Karen and Buboy for my free buffet dinner at Musashi Hotel. I gotta say, in my 41 years of existence, that was definitely the best and most beautiful meals I had. The Japanese really know how to cook mostly everything.





 Day 3 was without a doubt one of the worst shooting conditions I've ever been to. It was dark, it was wet, too windy and freezing. There was a time that I was walking as fast as I could from field 7 all the way to field 3 and 4 where the volunteer tent was located with my cameras under my shirt trying to prevent them from getting wet because the rain just surprisingly dropped on us (hindi man lang umambon ng konti). 





During the heavy rain and strong winds, we were trapped under the player's tent for quite a while. The women's team tried to do their warm-ups for their semifinal game, but they went back in the tent because the cold and rain were unbearable. The mixed team had no choice but to keep on playing under the icy rain and freezing wind. Not used to that kind of condition, they had a hard time to break away from Australia in the semis. But they were determined to win the battle. They put a lot of work into it. They hustled together, and they succeeded in the end. A portion of the showcase field (Field 3) was eaten by the ocean after the heavy rain, but that didn’t bother the Men’s team either, all they can think of was to run and take the semifinal win against Singapore. And they sure did. They were like possessed men. They were on another level during that game. Their best game of the tournament. They played with a lot of heart.




 Yes, we have a Women’s Masters team back in Dubai and Royan, but this was the first ever Women’s team that is not Masters. (Just wanted to make things clear here.) I saw how they worked extra hard back in Boracay They never gave up from the beatings of the island heat. And it showed that they were ready to tackle the challenges of Shirahama in days 1 and 2. But as the tournament went on, it is all about how ready you are physically and mentally as an individual and as a team. After their loss against Singapore, they were still the number one team in the standings but they have to face a familiar foe in Japan Vegegriffons, who they won against in the Elimination round. But this time though, the Vegegriffons line up was complete compared to the last time that they faced each other (they were only 8 Japanese players during their first game).



 It was a hard-fought battle under a very tough and bad weather condition. We can’t blame the weather. It is what it is. But it definitely affected both teams at that moment. So it is just a matter of who wanted it more. There is a difference between you watching the game on the stream, than being there on the sidelines with them. You can really feel the intensity that they really wanted to win, you feel their excitement when they score and the motivation that they give to their teammates when they need to take a point back after the opposing team scored against them. The cold wind and rain kept on punishing both teams, the Filipinas worked hard on their last defense, but Japan scored the final point to seal the victory. It was a heartbreaking loss, I felt it. After hearing Alex and Cess talking to the rest of the team and seeing every member’s face of defeat, It feels like Royan again when the boys lost to GBR in the semis. It feels like Dubai again after the men's team lost to the US on universe point. It was hard to shoot after the Women’s loss in the semis. I really wanted them to win. And it's kinda hard to show a straight face right in front of everybody after that tough loss. But just like what Coach Jude said, “There are no shortcuts on winning championships. You got to put in the work.” I just need to suck it up and keep on shooting under the freezing rain.





 Day 4 was the busiest day of the tournament. The Women’s team battle for third game, the three Championship games, updating the AAU page after every game, team pictures while trying to push myself a little more. Have you ever had that feeling where you know that you are not tired but your feet and legs are in a lot of pain because of walking and standing for the past 4 days? I guess that means, you're tired, huh? Yah, I guess I was a bit tired during those times. But I need to push through. It was the final day of the tournament and it was such an amazing moment, seeing two out of three teams in the Championship round, one team just won a very exciting bronze medal game. It was definitely a proud moment for every Filipino who was out there on the beach of Shirahama. After witnessing the Women’s team bag bronze against a strong team from Singapore, the Men’s and the Mixed team knew right there and then that they were not going to go down without a fight. Their eyes were fixed on one thing, and that is winning the gold medal.
Now that the Men’s and Mixed teams were in the Finals, one thing that was really hard to control was cheering them on. I need to stay on the equal ground all the time while I was shooting on the sidelines. So every time they score or made an exciting play, I was screaming and cheering on the inside while trying to maintain my normal face on the outside. Or trying to hide my face behind the camera and do a silent chant of “Pi-Li-Pi-Nas! Clap, clap, clap-clap-CLAP!” I’m pretty sure I look stupid during those moments, but you got to do what you gotta do to cheer for your country, to cheer for your friends. To cheer for your family.





I’ve seen their struggles, their sacrifices, the hard work that they did back on the island. The injuries. The good times and bad. I know that WCBU was different, I witnessed them shed a tear or two during those tournaments because they fell short of taking that elusive gold medal. This time around though, I saw them shedding tears of joy together with their brothers and sisters heading back home with not just one but two gold medals and bronze around their necks.

It was definitely a great time to be a Filipino.

 I know, we have a lot of hardships and a ton of problems in this country. In our households and even in our own community. But in some way, what the three Philippines teams did in Shirahama, Japan a couple of weeks ago gave us a glimmer of hope that if we only work together and leave all the hate, and bad vibes out of the door and focus on what lies ahead, I guess we will do just fine in the future.

That's how I did it.








for more photos:






0 comments: