Pusong Philippine Team. Dugong Kahel. (A personal account on how I fell in love with this team)

10:59 PM All About U 0 Comments







(Tagalog-English para malinaw!)

I’m not making this up. What I am about to tell you are the things that I saw, the emotions that I felt, and what made me fell in love with The Philippine National Mixed Team. 



Let’s begin. 

To tell you the truth, Wala akong pera. 

My travel budget and tournament savings were all spent during AOBUC 2019.  When I got back from Japan the only money that I have from my Travel budget was 5,500 pesos. Pagkakasyahin ko pa yan hanggang sa makaabot sa next photo gig. But everything was set for me to fly to Shanghai that time, so all I have to do was to find ways to come up with something for the Shanghai trip.

During Ultimate Battle Grounds in Dumaguete, Chin and Bullet invited me to join them for AOUGC. During the Nationals in Bacolod, Chin, Bullet and I had a gentleman’s agreement, a Handshake confirming that I will be joining them in Shanghai. Nagsabi lang ako ng Oo, pero hindi ko alam kung saan ko kukunin yung gastusin.

June of 2019, we went to Japan for AOBUC. Spent a few bucks there. And here comes, July. The journey to China has arrived. I never told anyone that I was short on cash on purchasing plane tickets and other expenses for this upcoming adventure, but still, I found ways to attend two boot camps, just before the big day arrived. Up to the last minute, I was still struggling with my pocket money. Ayokong maging pabigat sa kanila. So quiet lang talaga ako during those times. 




The Mixed team took care of everything else. 

They took care of my airfare and accommodation in Shanghai. During my stay in Manila, the Dador-Guerrero family was so kind enough to give me food, shelter and a few packets of laundry soap para makapaglaba ng damit. And of course, the boys and girls in TS Power Up, who took my worries away every time I was there watching them climb walls all night. 

The team also took care of my Visa situation. All I did was to submit my paperwork, made sure that everything was in order, and they did the rest. After a few days of waiting, My visa was approved… And just like that, I am all set for Shanghai. 

To make it clear and fair, I asked Chin and Bullet one afternoon about the photo coverage. Do they want mixed team exclusivity or am I allowed to shoot the rest of the Philippine team? They both immediately answered that it would be great if I could also cover both Men’s and Women’s as well. Para to sa Bayan, sabi nila. But most importantly they said, is that for me to have a great time in Shanghai. “You really don’t need to shoot all the games kung ayaw mo.” they said. “Gusto ka lang talaga namin makasama sa Shanghai kaya namin ginawa to.”  Honestly, that statement floored me the moment I heard it from them. They took care of my Visa, took care of my airfare and accommodation, took care of the little things like food, coffee and booze and they all expect nothing in return? That's a whole ‘nother level of kindness, man. Like I said, I am not making things up. I am just telling the truth.





Pilipinas Muna, Bago Club. 

 Since the first boot camp that I went to, Wala akong may nakitang kahit isang player galing Sunken Pleasure, walang akong may nakitang player galing Lupad Dumaguete, o Amazons, Bandits, Pancake, Bagani, Vicious, o kahit galing UGA. All I saw was a group of Filipino Ultimate players playing for their Country. Filipinos that was called up from different parts of Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao to represent our flag. Filipinos who sacrificed a lot of things. Luzon players who sacrificed their weekends with families and friends just to attend boot camps at Clark, Pampanga after 5 days of hard corporate and school work. Jordan who after a month and a half in Boracay and won gold in Japan decided to continue his Philippine team journey in Manila, stayed for another month of training, sacrificing his work in Bukidnon to make himself feel comfortable to this new team. Binoy, after receiving his college diploma decided to take it easy for a while, flew to Manila to represent the country and help the mixed team defend the crown. Len and Mimi who also fought hard in Japan, went back home with medals on their necks, decided to give another go to represent the Philippines, sacrificing a lot of time na makahanap ng trabaho sa kani-kanilang probinsiya. And Dongi who flew back and forth to Manila from Dumaguete for three straight weekends para lang makasali sa bootcamp at para makapasok parin sa school on weekdays. 

Talk about sacrifice and commitment, this team has it all. 



Moments in Shanghai. The struggles. The good times and bad. 

Making the VPN and the Chinese pocket wifi work was definitely some of the struggles that I encountered. Without VPN, you can't open any social media apps like Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. Not even Google! The language barrier was also tough because most of the time the people that you meet regularly had a hard time speaking English. You sometimes need to take a picture of the food that you want to order or use google translate for you to have something to eat. There’s not much English signage insight. For some reason, the transportation system was easier compared to Japan, but the real struggle was the scorching hot and sweaty weather of the month of August. Sobrang bigat huminga at bigat sa katawan ang init na naranasan namin doon. If Las Vegas has dry heat during summer, the August weather in Shanghai is definitely the opposite of dry heat. It was bad.

Thunder and Lightning with pouring rain is pretty normal the whole tournament.

I never experienced a tournament that has thunder and lighting stoppage every single day (except for Day 1). And most of the time it was during those hours that a Philippine team was playing. When the sky goes dark (but mostly gray) and you hear a thunder rumbling, followed by a horn and whistles from the staff and volunteers, all the games need to be stopped and all of us need to stay indoors for about 30 minutes to an hour or until the lightning’s far away from the venue. (Remember, it was so hot, we were all sweaty and smelly. All in one big hall. And were hundreds of us.) It was quite a hassle because every game from then on needs to be moved. Game times need to be shortened. And sometimes, the games that were stopped due to the delay ay tinitigil na lamang para magbigay ng sapat na oras sa susunod na mga laro. So, if your team was trailing for a few of points and the momentum shifted on your side and then the stoppage occurs, you will never get a chance to tie up or even win the game. And that's a bummer, to be honest. But then again, we totally understand that the organizers only concern was for everyone's safety. And for sure the AOUGC organizers did an absolutely great job on that part, no doubt about it. 







On defending the crown and The most important key to winning a championship.

The last time I witnessed the mixed team played the powerhouse Japan, in an AOUGC tournament was in Hong Kong back in 2015. A semifinal game. It was an intense battle right from the get-go. During the universe point, I remember that a photographer asked me which endzone will I set myself up for the last point to capture the winning moment. I told him that I trust my guys and gals that they will win the semis, so I stayed on my ground the whole time. After a few passes, a huck was made, I chased down the disc with my camera as the white plastic saucer was heading towards me, and all of a sudden Jamel filled my frame while I was squeezing the trigger for the winning photo. 

The Philippines won the finals against Australia back in 2015.

This time in Shanghai, I have no doubt in my mind that our friends from the land of the rising sun were eager to score a W against the mixed team (knowing that we also dominated the recently concluded AOBUC in Japan). We all know that the rest of the ultimate world was also improving and getting better by the minute. Hindi sila humihina, lumalakas din sila. So it would be unwise for us not to prepare for the greatest ultimate showdown in Asia-Oceana. 



The Japanese Mixed team drew first blood in the championship round, but the Filipinos never looked back after the equalizer. They were crushing it all throughout the game (All throughout the tournament even. The Mixed Offensive line had an average of only 1 break/game. They played almost a perfect game all tournament.). Shooting on the sidelines for me was like being there with them in times of battle. Napapasigaw din ako every time they scored a break or even during Angelique’s epic hand block, which I totally messed up the shot (Sorry, Lek). Nararamdaman mo yung saktong gigil ng bawat miembro ng mixed team. They were giving me high-fives every time na dadaan sila sa tabi ko, sabay sabi, “Kuya Don, Atin na tong larong to, kukunin na natin”. They were saying those words with authority, just like the way they showed up in the finals. They were there with their eyes fixed on one goal. And that is to bring the hardware back home. To bring the trophy back to where it really belong. After all the hard work and sacrifices from the last couple of months, they believed that no one can take that trophy away from them. 

They believed that they are the number one mixed team in Asia-Oceana. 





So what do you think is the Mixed teams key on being the number one team in AO? 

 If you ask me, It’s not all about putting all the star players on one team (Well except for the 1992 US Olympic Men's Basketball Team, they are on a different planet if you ask me). It’s not all about putting all the skilled players on one team either.  But, I think it’s all about putting a group of good team players that has BALANCE and COMMITMENT. A group of role players that knows how to balance the time to have fun and the time to go beasting. Role players that are willing to sacrifice a ton of time to sharpen up the blades. Players that know and understand what they are fighting for. 

Let’s face it, a couple of hours of training won't cut it. It takes a ton of time to win a championship on that level of Ultimate. It takes a ton of good times. It takes a ton of hard and painful work. It takes a ton of everything. 

Balance and Commitment.



At the victory party last weekend at Migol’s house (Thank you, Ramos Family!!!), everyone was having a great time, enjoying each others company. Reminiscing the good times in Shanghai. It was so great to see them all again under one roof (except for a few folks who didn't make it like, Dongi, Mimi and Jam. We miss you guys!) still on a gold medal high. As the 2 day (and night) victory party was about to end, Mikko Gonzales in his zen-like attitude kind of way, gave us a different perspective about this successful journey. He said It wasn't the gold medal or the trophy that makes this experience a memorable one, but the FRIENDSHIP that you all have created through this fruitful journey. That a team with no star players can win championships, a team that is composed of players from all over the country with different backgrounds, personalities, and even dialects can actually blend in together and can become a family. Everyone can get along with each other if we all want to.

In the end, the hardware, both the medals and the trophy became the secondary winning. Being with your Mixed National Teammates is the real podium finish that you all are looking forward to achieving all this time. 

And that is why I fell in love with this team.

Padayon.

- Don












0 comments: